Kundalini Yoga is the Yoga of Awareness, consists of simple yogic techniques that can be enjoyed by everyone, no matter his or her age or physical ability. It is a complete science that includes breath (pranayama), yoga postures (asana), sound, chanting (mantra) and meditation. It is designed to provide you with the experience of your highest consciousness through the raising of your Kundalini.
Kundalini is the name given to the evolutionary energy that is in all things. It is the feminine power of the universe sometimes called Shakti (Sanskrit word for power). It is the vital energy of the universe like the force in star wars it is in everything and surrounds all living things; it is the essence of life. In yogic literature and tradition it is said that each one of us has laying dormant within us the seed of this energy which is said to be located at the lower base of the spine.
Benefits of yoga practice may include: inner peace and calm, increased productivity, increased energy, vigour, vitality, longevity. It allows us to transmute our animal natures and align with our divine and spiritual nature.
"Kundalini Yoga is the crack cocaine of yoga. If hatha is a mild weed high, iyengar is a deep hash glow, and ashtanga is amphetamine, Kundalini blows the *ucking doors off." ~Russell Brand~ on his experience with Kundalini Yoga.
"Kundalini Yoga is the science to unite the finite with Infinity, and it's the art to experience Infinity in the finite."
-Yogi Bhajan, 10/27/88
Kundalini Yoga is called the Yoga of Awareness. It is a dynamic, powerful tool that is designed to give you an experience of your soul.
In Kundalini Yoga we harness the mental, physical, and nervous energies of the body and put them under the domain of the will, which is the instrument of the soul. This technology precisely and consciously combines breath, mudra, eye-focus, mantra, body locks, and postures to balance the glandular system, strengthen the nervous system, expand lung capacity, and purifiy the blood. It brings balance to the body, mind, and soul.
"In Kundalini Yoga the most important thing is your experience. It goes right to your heart. No words can replace your experience. Your mind may accept the words or it may not, but your consciousness will not accept just words."
-Yogi Bhajan, The Aquarian Teacher Training manual, p. 20
Kundalini Yoga is not a religion. When we apply the technology of Kundalini Yoga to our bodies and minds, it has the effect of uplifting the spirit. It is for everyone. It is universal and nondenominational.
"Kundalini Yoga is not a religion. Religions come out of it. Kundalini Yoga is not a fad, and it's not a cult. It's a practice of experience of a person's own excellence, which is dormant and which is awakened."
-Yogi Bhajan, 7/26/96
Kundalini Yoga is a yoga for householders, for people who have to cope with the daily challenges and stresses of holding jobs, raising families, and managing businesses. It is a path for everyone who wants the skills to cope successfully with the challenges of our times.
Kundalini Yoga was kept very secret until 1969 when Yogi Bhajan taught it openly in order to prepare humanity for the major changes that this planet is going through as we cross from the Piscean to the Aquarian Age. The ancient technology of Kundalini Yoga gives us the awareness and the fortitude to make this a smooth transition. The legacy of technical and spiritual knowledge that Yogi Bhajan studied and mastered in India is the gift he brought to the West.
"The kundalini experience does not mean you have gone into a deep breathless trance and are beyond this world. … It integrates you more fully with reality and gives you a broader vision and sensitivity so that you can act more efficiently."
~Yogi Bhajan, from Kundalini Yoga: The Flow of Eternal Power, back cover
Practice gives you an experience beyond the limits of time and space—an experience of the depth of your soul and true identity. This direct experience of your higher self builds a platform of strength, radiance, and security on which to build your life. Kundalini Yoga also provides more well-known benefits: increased flexibility, expanded lung capacity, a strong core, and stress alleviation. Here are 10 more great—and perhaps unexpected—benefits of Kundalini Yoga:
1. Inner Guidance Kundalini Yoga develops the power of the intuitive mind. Your intuition is the voice of your own inner GPS. Every person has inner guidance available to them and can choose to listen and live with its support. When you clean out the subconscious mind and learn to listen through deep meditation, when your thoughts and feelings resonate with the soul, you can sense the guidance of intuition that is always present. As you develop your internal guidance system, you can use it as a touchstone when faced with the decisions, questions, and choices life brings you.
2. Sacred Sound Kundalini Yoga is known for the sacred chant music that is part and parcel of the practice. When we consciously regulate the sounds we make through the use of mantra, breath, and rhythm, we can produce profound effects on our health and well-being, not to mention the pure joy that is experienced when we chant from our hearts and souls. Sacred sound, or Naad Yoga, is based on the experience of how sound vibrations affect the body, mind, and spirit through the movement of the tongue, the mouth, and changes in the chemicals in the brain.
3. The Golden Chain Kundalini Yoga has been taught for thousands of years, transmitted from Master to student. When you chant Ong Namo Guru Dev Namo to begin a Kundalini Yoga class, you become linked to the long line of spiritual masters who have preceded you. You are calling on this lineage and the teacher within you for guidance, protection, and wisdom. This lineage is called the Golden Chain. It is a transference of spiritual awareness that guarantees that the teachings of Kundalini Yoga remain pure, unadulterated, and effective.
4. Turn Karma into Dharma The practice of Kundalini Yoga takes you out of the cycle of karma. Your positive intention to grow and put yourself through Kundalini kriyas (exercises) burns off karma. The more you practice, the more present, conscious, and intuitive you become. Walk the path of dharma rather than living in response to karma.
5. Protection from Negativity Kundalini Yoga practice fortifies and expands your electromagnetic field, or aura. It is the energy field that surrounds you, and that alerts you to positive and negative influences in your environment. A weak aura can let in negative influences, and even attract them. A big, strong, bright aura can protect you from negativity and keep you centered in the light of your true identity.
6. Emotional Balance and Neutral Mind Kundalini Yoga strengthens the nervous system, balances the glands, purifies the blood, and cleans out subconscious thought patterns. This gives you greater awareness and ability to choose how you respond to your thoughts and feelings. Through practice, you can train your mind and body not to react emotionally—not by repressing emotions, but by developing a buffer zone, a time and space in which to process and make conscious choices about your responses. Develop the neutral mind, the place where the positive and the negative are evaluated in an instant, and you can act from that state of non-attachment, compassion, and neutrality. Act, don’t react. 7. Deep Relaxation that Heals Kundalini Yoga works to strengthen and balance the nervous system. When your nervous system is weak, you are susceptible to unhealthy reactions to stress. During a Kundalini Yoga kriya and the deep relaxation that follows it, all the nerve endings in the body are given a tune-up. You experience a deep rejuvenating state of total relaxation where healing can take place. Regular practice gives you extra stamina and resilience in the face of everyday stress.
8. Kundalini Yoga Lifestyle Because Kundalini Yoga is specifically geared for the householder—people who have jobs and families and busy lives, it works quickly, is effective, and includes a vast array of lifestyle information. You can choose to attend a weekly yoga class and reap the benefits found there. You can also choose to dive into a whole body of ancient yogic teachings on personal hygiene, yogic diet, numerology, child-rearing, authentic relationships, conscious communication, selfless service, and much more.
9. Community Connection Being together with like-minded souls is a powerful support tool in the quest for spiritual growth and higher consciousness. Kundalini Yoga centers and studios welcome yoga students and teachers to create community. Celebrate special occasions with group meditations, sacred chant concerts, pot luck get-togethers and community service projects. 3HO Foundation International sponsors worldwide Kundalini Yoga events, as do local Kundalini Yoga centers. As you make positive changes in your life, the connection with and support of a spiritual family is a priceless gift.
10. Befriend your Soul and Manifest Your Destiny Kundalini Yoga gives you an experience of who you are when the grip of ego is released. It allows the depth of the soul to be felt and known. Begin to access your truth and create a strong connection to your soul and your soul’s work in this lifetime. Kundalini Yoga is an experience of uniting the finite self with the Infinite. Once you gain this experience, you no longer have the need to look for your security outside of yourself. Your security comes from knowing who you are in relation to the Universe. You know who you are, and you can be you. You can leave the pain of past wounds behind, and manifest your soul’s destiny. Guru Tera Kaur
This is a content preview space you can use to get your audience interested in what you have to say so they can’t wait to learn and read more. Pull out the most interesting detail that appears on the page and write it here.